Saturday, June 09, 2007

Just the Right Photo

I was talking about taking pictures at work one day, and one of my coworkers that doesn't know me real well asked if I carried my camera with me all the time. I was a wee bit surprised that she asked. My answer: yes!

Back when it was early spring...like in April. I saw the coolest 'picture' of a dead tree mirrored in an old backwater pond. Well THAT day, I didn't have my camera with me and was so disappointed to have missed a perfect photo. So I started carrying the camera again. But the weather never cooperated. It was either windy, rainy or too darned cold to get out of a warm car to snap a photo.

I have an hour commute to and from work each day, so I am always on the lookout for a good photo. I really wanted this photo bad. Finally after about 3 weeks the perfect day came again and I stopped to take the picture. I was very happy with the color and texture of the final shot.

While I was there, I thought I would go to the other side of the road and snap a shot of the swamp there, figuring with the sun shining on that side the shot would be nothing to speak of. But I was there, so over I went. I took my shot. Then I was standing there absorbing the peace and tranquility. I love water. Something about it is very soothing and restorative.

I looked over the edge of the bridge into the water.....what a shock for me. The water was perfectly clear. I figured it was stagnant swamp, but in fact it is a slough (backwater (3) : a creek in a marsh ) and the water was running through it. So I took a photo of how clear the water was. And stood there absorbing more peace and quiet, when zip! a big old carp came swimming out from under the bridge. I didn't have my camera ready so he got into the reflective area before I could capture him. Not to worry, 3 more zipped out and I got them. Then about 6 more came out and I got part of them. What a thrill for me! These little puppies are about 12" long and as you can see, well fed.
I hope you have enjoyed my fishy story. It continues. I stop often to see how they are doing. Some days they are not visible at all. One morning I did get a photo of them laying near the top of the water. I will post it later.

No comments: